Tuesday, November 27, 2012

LCD Monitor - A Best Buy Experience

So normally I don't try to go out on Black Friday, but this year we were in serious need of a new monitor for our home office. I had been looking around through all the ads and came across a deal at Best Buy.  $199 for a 27" LCD by LG.  Granted it wasn't the coveted IPS display, but for 200 bucks, who cares!

So we looked online and it appeared to be out of stock by the time we checked Friday morning at around 10 AM.  I was pretty bummed because it was $40 less than any other 27" I had come across out there. So we kept checking all day just in case.  Then later in the day - maybe around 5 or 6 at night, I checked the web site using my iPad and saw an option for in-store pickup.  I clicked the link to check nearby stores and sure enough, the Best Buy closest to us had it in stock!  The only problem was that I had to go to Best Buy on Black Friday in NYC, a nightmarish thought indeed.  Remember this is the day someone died for a TV and I think it was in New York too, can't remember though.

So later on, the little man (my son) and I bundled up and headed out to Best Buy!  When we got there, there was Police barricades up in front of the store and a line stretching from the door, down the side of the building to the corner.  I thought, OMG! is there a LINE just to get inside?!  Yup, sure was!  Someone in line assured me that it would only be like 10 minutes, it was moving fast.  Turns out that it was only about 10 minutes but still, crazy!  Once inside, I come to find out there's not that many people inside, the cashiers were just sitting there doing nothing!  So why the line? Not sure.

I decided not to wonder around the store and decided to ask the first employee I saw where the LCD I wanted was and if it was still in stock.  He didn't seem to know what one I was talking about but thought that it was probably out of stock but I should still check in the LCD section anyhow.  So I zig-zagged my way around stacks of other electronics in the aisles.  It really was a maze in there!  They had tape arrows on the floor for what way you should walk and they had plastic bin walls constructed in different places to direct the traffic to follow the arrows.  This was all just evidence of how it must have been in the morning - I can't imagine!  I finally found my way to the LCD monitor shelf and looked around to find that there were none left.  I wasn't going to give up yet though because there was stuff crammed everywhere in this store, maybe there was at least one left somewhere for me.

I looked around a bunch on the floor to see if there was a floor "display" somewhere but found nothing.  So then I reverted to asking someone who worked in that department.  Before I could get in line to wait, a guy standing by the shelf with the LCD's asked me if I was looking for the 27" LG, I told him yes.  He said he was too and then pointed to a HUGE stack of boxes up high on a shelf.  Eureka! They had like 15 of them! They were just up too high to grab one without a ladder.  So after only about 5 minutes of waiting, an employee came with a very short ladder and slid a couple of monitors off the top of the stack with a long stick.  It was like a circus act because the guy was standing on the very top step of the ladder and reaching the boxes with some piece of shelving he was using as a push stick.  I don't think that is normal practice but as long as mine didn't hit the floor, I was OK.

Long story short, I'm now enjoying my new LG 27" and all it's expansive resolution.  One of the first things I did was watch Avatar on it!  I'm no LCD connoisseur but this screen is pretty good for the price!  I know there are others out there that are better quality but the price can't be beat! I think the icing on the cake is to know the price on their website is now $349!

No comments:

Post a Comment