Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ghostly NIC

I know it's been a while since I updated this.  This post is the first of hopefully many useful tidbits to help you in your tech journey.


I ran into the following solution to get rid of those ghost network adapters that you can’t see in windows.  From time to time when working with VMs, windows will ghost a NIC and it will be still in the windows config but you can’t see it anywhere or remove it.  The following allows you to see it and the ability to remove it if needed.
  1. Run the following two commands from an administrative command prompt:
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

    devmgmt.msc
  2. This will launch the device manager.  Choose View | Show Hidden Devices from the menu bar. 
  3. Find the non-present NIC(s) under Network Adapters section (usually the first one in the list of NICs).
  4. Right-click it and choose Uninstall.
I can't take credit for this one myself, I found this solution on a Microsoft web site after doing a search.  I had been looking for this for a LONG time and finally found it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment